Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Here I am...Rock you like a hurricane?



Well here begins my blog. It was originally going to be called, "the railings of an allowed fool"(from twelfth night) however "railings" seem to have a negative connotation. The Ruse of Fools (or "tricks" of fools) seems more appropriate. It still has the word fools, and it comes from a favorite song of mine. I don't want to rail on here, though I'll occasionally vent frustrations in a hopefully comical way. What is a fool? Well some would define it as someone who does foolish things. In Shakespeare's world it was merely someone who entertained. Quite often the fool is the most intelligent character in a play. Is this arrogant? Slightly, but my wisdom can be boiled down to life experiences and my point of view. What is my point of view? Well consider me to be Waldorf and Statler (the old men in the balcony on the muppet show) or any one of the mystery science theater 3000 characters (google it if you haven't seen it). I like to observe, poke fun at, and then occasionally throw cabbage at things I find funny or silly or whatever. For my first "railing" I must burn on radio commercials:

I am so sick of turning on the radio and hearing a commercial which consists of a classic song- rewritten in order to sell cars or plastic surgery or something. Whether it be Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" turned into "I showed up to a car lot full of sales" or 99 red balloons altered into "99 great sales made, 99 ways to get paid...so come on down and join apex alarm systems today!" I mean I bet there is a lot of money in said business right? What does that ad for that look like? "Looking for motivated "musicians" to re-word and re-record famous songs into jingles for used car lots and other worthless garbage to be used on the radio.

Let's try one shall we? Let's take a classic song like Stairway to Heaven, Imagine, or Hit me baby....wait...no Spears. Ah, we'll butcher John Denver instead.

Almost heaven, South Towne Auto Mall
Blue Dodge Chargers, Well priced trucks and dodge rams
Prices are great there, The service, it will please
Our backdrop is the mountains, We sell nice used SUV's

I-15, take me home
To a place, where lines aint loooong
West Jordan Utah, mountain momma
Take me home, I-15 (exit 204)

I figure at the end of these posts I'll seal it with an "out." Questions? Comments? Wishes for the future? I'm wrapping it up- Out

2 comments:

  1. The sad thing is your commercial is better than the ones on the radio. Funny = Sales. Lame people singing = failure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if this is going to work right but here are the guitar chords to play along with the jingle. The letters above each line are the chords for each line. Listen to Country roads to get the correct rhythm.


    G Em
    Almost heaven, South Towne Auto Mall

    D C G
    Blue Dodge Chargers, Well priced trucks and dodge rams

    G Em
    Prices are great there, The service, it will please

    D C G
    Our backdrop is the mountains, We sell nice used SUV's

    CHORUS:
    G D
    I-15, take me home

    Em C
    To a place, where lines aint loooong

    G D
    West Jordan Utah, mountain momma

    C G
    Take me home, I-15 (exit 204)

    ReplyDelete