Friday, May 1, 2009

Wolverine Review...SNIKT!


It's 2:36 a.m., do you know where your kids are? Well I was just at Wolverine's midnight premier. I started my day by dressing as Wolverine, including steel toed boots, black leather jacket, no shaving, hair slicked back, and yes I have two black leather gloves with 6 chrome painted pencils attached. I was the "belle of the ball." My students ate it up.

I hooked up with my good friends: Dave, Tyson, Scott, Bret, Cody, Damon, some spouses, and at the last minute (my wife was feeling sick) my old missionary companion Johnny. (Part of the movie took place in Springfield Ohio, that town was my area :) )

Anyways: The movie was awesome. But not awesome in the regular sense. I've known Wolverine's back story and origin for a long time. Heck I did the math and I've been waiting for this movie for 17 years already. The story line was excellent, and it flowed pretty quickly. I was sucked in from opening shot to final "after the credits" treat. The action was intense. I mean you have to dumb it down a bit to make it PG-13. We're talking about a guy whose super powers include long sharp pointy objects. In the comics, heads roll all the time and insides are routinely displayed outside. But they managed to get graphic enough to please the comic fan. There were great explosions, EPIC battles, and some pretty cool deaths. Plus Ryan Reynolds (and the girls say, "HEY I KNOW THAT NAME! HE'S IN CHICK FLICKS!") as dead pool was hilarous. For those of you confused as to who deadpool is, Here's a picture.

There were cool guest spots of mutants which I recognized, but the casual movie goer won't care about. Some great one liners, and some fairly revealing shots of a naked Hugh Jackman running around the forest. Speaking of Hugh Jackman, this guy is a great great actor. I've heard he's a genuinely nice guy in real life. He plays Wolverine perfectly, and I do hope he signs on to do another film. Kudos for somebody haveing fun in a movie that they co-produced. Oh, and Lieve Schreiber as Sabertooth was very VERY cool. They finally cast a comic book movie right. People can complain about cheesy lines, but at least they aren't delivered in a "cookie monster with emphasema batman voice." All in all it was exactly what I had hoped it would be, which is a good story, good action, and a good viewing experience. I totally recommend this movie to anyone who is in the mood for a great start of the summer movie season. To the weathered comic book fan, this will probably mean a bit more to ya. 31/2 out of 4 stars for the general public. 4/4 stars for me- out

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if Hugh (Huge) Jackman will be able to be anything but Wolverine now that so much of his career has been consumed by this role

    ReplyDelete
  2. Australia was pretty good, and he was awesome in "the Prestige" but yeah he was made for the role of Wolverine.

    ReplyDelete