Thursday, May 7, 2009

Passing of the torch...

This has been a wild week. It started with my second full night on the job on Monday. (Or Cinco de Quatro, as our "just as eloquent as George W. Bush" President Obama put it...seriously- say what?). I'm starting to realize that unlike my other stint as a teacher for this company- These kids are a lot harder to control. By Wednesday I'd learned that if they start giving me lip...or the bird...I can just summon the mighty powers of, "GIANT TONGAN GUY IN THE HALLWAY WHO ROUGHS KIDS UP WHEN THEY MOUTH OFF-MAN!!!" So that has become MUCH easier.
Today (Thursday) found me using student's valuable time to move my classroom from the outside trailer to the interior of the building. With our new addition, all of the teachers who have been here for years have moved to nice new rooms. I went from homely trailer (complete with actual wood paneled walls and a collapsible ceiling) to one of the classrooms that I actually had class in my senior year. It is located upstairs in the senior hallway which is infested with bats in the ceiling. No joke...ceiling full of bats. And with bats comes BAT GUANO! Long story short- my room smells like Urine when it gets hot outside. The walls are red, orange, brown, and yellowish. I believe that the previous teacher painted it to go for a "zion's national park" feel. My students declared it was an Ode to Nacho Cheese...
Tonight was our church's talent show. The passing of the torch was completed when a kid that I taught...only 14...got up and played/sang Jim Croce's "Operator."
When I was on scout camp outs growing up, my leader; Jim, would always play Jim Croce and the Kingston Trio for us. We eventually put our head phones away and accepted this old person music. Come to find out: JIM CROCE ROCKS. So when I took the scouts out on a camping trip, I made my own "Croce" mix. This kid loved it, so I gave him the mix. Tonight was epic. I filmed it and then took it over to show my old scout leader. We both had a good laugh. Love to all, may this weekend find you happy and productive. I'm going to SUU to start my grad program, celebrate my anniversary, and...well we're going to go see Wolverine together tomorrow so that's 3 great reasons to look forward to the weekend- Out

No comments:

Post a Comment