Sunday, March 20, 2011

I'm back in the game... the X-game



As many of you know, from 5th grade to around 10th grade, comic book collecting was my hobby. My friends Tyson, Dave, and Jason, and my brothers, were geeking out on everything "X" ("Geek" is the new "Jock" by the way, if you didn't know). Of course my favorite books were X-men because they were the best in the business. After enduring years of ridicule (I'm sure they were just jealous that they didn't own as many as me) and financial strain, I walked away from it all. Partly because the product was in decline. Marvel had gone from awesome artwork and story, to really crummy art work and not much going on. The problem was that you couldn't just subscribe to one title... Example: I subscribed to Wolverine and you'd get to the end of an issue and it'd say, "story continued in X-force# 34 and then concludes in Uncanny X-men # 345. It was too much money and too much hassle. It was impossible to collect them when there was: Wolverine, Generation X, X-men, Uncanny X-men, X-Force, X-Factor, Cable, Excaliber, X-man, Deadpool, and a bunch of whatever in between.
Gone were the days of Adam and Andy Kubert, Mark Texeira, Joe Maduira, Jim Lee, and other stellar artists. Marvel had...for a time...lost their way. (Though the picture below is not an illustration of them losing their way. The Age of Apocalypse storyline remains one of the best they ever did.)

Over the years I'd occasionally see a comic book rack and see some artwork that looked impressive so I'd grab an issue or two, nothing too serious though. I recently went through my old collection in my closet at my folk's house. Wow, the memories they came a pouring back. I immediately went back to the local comic book shop and said, "catch me up, and then get me the following titles on a monthly basis: Dead Pool, Uncanny X-Force, and X-men."

Wolverine has been my favorite since the first time I saw the opening of the early 90's X-men cartoon. Dude is insanely cool. Currently the Wolverine book looks like garbage so I got Uncanny X-force instead which has him heading a team of some of my favorite mutants including: Deadpool, Psylocke, and Archangel. Dig the trailer for the book HERE.



The Deadpool books are just simply hilarious. Dude is all bad A looking and yet he tells stupid jokes throughout the books. He breaks the 4th wall (talks to the reader much like when Ferris Beuller would talk to the viewer) and it's just perfectly written.

Feels great to be back in the game. Please click on the above 2 pictures. I scanned them in so you could see how funny Deadpool is...took a lot of time to figure out the scanner...just saying. Oh ya know what? I'm going to post another Deadpool picture beneath here because I think it's funny. Especially if you were raised in the 90's. My wife just shakes her head and frowns disapprovingly (but I'm not the one who downloaded the entire Justin Bieber album this weekend am I! HA! Grown man reading Comics is less than and not equal to grown woman listening to Bieber!) but I love these characters, the art, the writing, and the experience. I wrote a letter to Stan Lee the other day to let him know that I love his product. I will forever make mine Marvel. - JR

2 comments:

  1. Not the terrible ska band, as in "no doubt I'm sure it's him." haha that's great . Does Stan Lee even work for Marvel anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's still the mouthpiece. He's up there man...

    ReplyDelete