Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dear World: I Refuse to Grow Up...Sorta

I'm 29 years old...


I find the occasional gray hair popping through my black, dreamy hair...


I have a wife...


I have 2 kids...


I have 2 jobs...


I pay the bills... (well my money does, technically my lovely wife does the online payment thing)


Yesterday I interviewed with a prestigious university (where Jimmer goes) for Grad school


I've sued someone before...


I have credit cards....


I have attended my 10 year high school reunion...


I'm technically a grown up...



THAT BEING SAID!


I don't want to grow up, I'm a Toys R' Us kid!


I play ultimate Frisbee with students and teachers on Fridays in the field!


I collect comic books, that's right, I collect and enjoy reading comic books! (Call em graphic novels if that sounds more mature)


Tomorrow night, my friends and I are going to see Sucker Punch at MIDNIGHT! You heard me, my students will be sleeping and I'll be watching girls with samurai swords destroy giant robots and evil mechanical Nazi creatures!



I still wear rock and roll t-shirts, ripped jeans, and play my bass guitar


I enjoy cartoons


I like to eat Captain Crunch with Butterfinger bars crumbled up at the bottom of the bowl.


I probably know more about the Star Wars universe than George Lucas does.


I tell stupid jokes


Today I gave a kid extra credit. His presentation on guitars was utterly awful so I told him, "play a song if you wanna get a decent grade on this." "All I know is metal," he said. So I told him, "then play Master of Puppets by Metallica." He did...he got more points.


The other day a co-worker said something to the effect of "I wish I knew how you had so much energy." The easy answer would be caffeine, but I HAVEN'T TOUCHED SODA IN ALMOST 4 MONTHS!!! It's called a lust for life.


LET'S BE CLEAR THOUGH!


I take life very seriously. I know there is a time to be serious and a time to goof off. A time to cast away stones, a time to gaaaaaaather stoooooones together.


Here's what I DON'T want to have happen:


I don't want to go through a day of my life without making somebody laugh...hysterically


I don't want to become so involved in my work that my kids think I'm boring


I don't want to say, "hmmm a midnight movie sounds awfully foolish, it will make me tired and I'M TOO OLD FOR THAT.





I don't want to look through my closet and say, "well I'll be dipped, this t-shirt with Ralph Wiggum on the front saying, "I bent my wookie" is in terrible taste...away with it!"


So Yeah,

I might be dedicating all of my time and efforts at two jobs and grad school coming up here. But between research papers, I'll be reading the latest issue of Deadpool or Uncanny X-Force.


After a long week full of papers and work and such, I'll be rewarding myself by checking out the newest "Sucker Punch-esque" movie at midnight and smiling the whole time.

I'm going to continue to occasionally scarf down multiple hot dogs and ramen. It was good enough for me at college, it's good enough for me now.


Peter Pan was a jerk in the movie Hook. Then he went to Neverland and he became a screw around putz. Finally he found the balance between the two.


That's where you'll find me...


In the Ruse of Fools- JR

1 comment: