Monday, June 8, 2009

The Dentist...DUN DUN DUN!

So tis been a while since my last post. Sorry about that. Here's a quick run down as to why I no posty lately:

Last week school got out:
Saturday I can't even recall
Sunday: Church and helped Kathy move in Salt Lake
Monday: Helped Whitney move in Salt Lake, worked late
Tuesday: Worked all day and got news that I have yet another job (that's 3 this summer)
Wed: Worked job A in the morning, and job B at night
Thursday: Worked job C in the morning and job A at night
Friday: Finally a day off...didn't feel the blogging though
Saturday: Saw Land of the Lost, laughed out loud many times. Cousins and family over for games that night. Rocked some scene it.
Sunday: First restful Sunday in a LOOONG time. Napped like a king

This brings us to Today: THE DENTIST!

Now many of us fear the dentist for different reasons. Of course the drilling sucks, but today my fear came from the fact that I have not been to a dentist since...I BELIEVE 2004. Possibly even 2003. So the x-rays were taken...and...and...and I'll tell you about that in a minute. First off an observation:

You know how in the fast pace of a conversation you sometimes blurt something out that you didn't really think through and you feel stupid? Well the dentist is a great time for great conversation. Sounds weird I know since he has his or her hand in your mouth the whole time. But I found that while they are doing their thing, they talk and talk, and you can sit there and make rough drafts and final drafts of your response which you spring on them when they take a break to get more cleaning stuff or a new tool.

I felt like the king of high speech as she would clean and talk talk talk, and then I would reply with this amazingly refined poetic answer. I know I know, it's amazing she didn't pass out and fall because of my dizzying intellect right?

So after all of this marvelous conversation, the Dentist walks in to "look at my x-rays."

I was sweating bullets and moving uncomfortably in the chair (which may or may not have resulted in a "rubbing leather" noise...oops)

I heard mouth terms being thrown around about 4th meta somethings and bi-something elses. I of course was expecting high single digits, maybe lower double digits for fillings. This coming from a guy who regularly eats a large bowl of captain crunch filled with butterfinger bars. I brush often but my flossing is LESS than marvelous. I try every week to swear off soda but then require a sugary mountain dew to get me through a long night teaching at the academy. (The discovery academy...sadly not the Jedi Academy, that would be wicked)
(And yes that's me in my picture...how did I ever get married)

So anyways, I have you in suspense now. You know it's been 5+ years since my last examintation, I consume foods that most dentists probably consider swear words, and I never find the time to thoroughly floss...

"Well no cavities but one of your fillings needs to be replaced...."

That's right...ONE! If I may quote the last message a student wrote on my board this year: Mr. Reeves is so Hella Fly....- OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment