Saturday, June 13, 2009

Check out the Classics



So I blog fairly often about my love for movies. I'd like to stop for a moment and talk about "films." But wait Justin, aren't films and movies the same thing? Well sorta, but then again a Big Mac and a Whopper are both Cheeseburgers...which cause intestinal problems...but they taste different.

So this week I went and grabbed a couple of really good films, Namely: Psycho (the Original) and The Birds. Both of these are Hitchcock films and both are amazingly cool. For those of you who need an example of the difference between a movie and a film, let's look at Disturbia vs. Rear Window (yet another Hitchcock film).

They both have the exact same plot, (I hear that Disturbia got sued over it actually) a person sits in their house with a telescope and become really paranoid of their neighbor whom they suspect of murder most foul.

The big difference is that Disturbia is more "in your face" and blunt. Rear window is a masterpiece in suspenseful film making. It leaves you guessing til the last frame.

There are moments in movies that give me goosebumps and most of them are in older movies. These aren't fear goosebumps, these are "oh my gosh this is crazy cool" goosebumps.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark: "It's beautiful"- then the angel turns into a screaming ghost skeleton and the Nazi's melt

2. Jaws: Quint's speech about the USS Indianapolis

3. Psycho: We finally meet Mrs. Bates...holy crap I almost had to change my shorts

The list goes on of course, but yeah, Hitchcock and Spielberg are the masters of making good movies.
IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE ORIGINAL PSYCHO, COME BORROW IT, GO RENT IT, JUST SEE IT!!!

Anywho, yes, if you've seen a good film (not a cool movie) that you think others should see, then message me and I'll post them.

Run Lola Run
Gran Torino (if you can find a language edited one that's best)
Letters from Iwo Jima
Flags of Our Fathers
Moulin Rouge
-out

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. -It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World
    -Secondhand Lions (a rare modern classic imo)
    And I can't watch scary movies anymore because of Psycho. If you think I am kidding ask Devin.
    -The Bishop's Wife
    There is an old Audrey Hepburn movie where she is blind and there's a guy in her house. I can't remember what it is called, but it is probably the scariest movie I have ever seen.
    -Ben Hur
    -Easter Parade (can you tell I prefer romantic comedies?)
    There aren't very many "modern" movies that I can watch over and over, but I love "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels."
    -Follow Me Boys
    -Against A Crooked Sky
    -North To Alaska
    I don't know if any of these are "classics" or whatever, but they are just movies I love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of my favorite classic films are:
    The Great Escape
    The Good the Bad and the Ugly
    The Bridge on the River Kwai
    The Man who would be King (this is a great movie from the 70's with Sean Connery and Michael Cain.)

    Rear Window has a more confined feeling to it. The whole move takes place in apartment. You see the neigborhood through the window just like the Jimmy Stewart character.

    The Audrey Hepburn movie that Bridget mentioned is called "Wait Until Dark".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Hitchcock? See "Rope" I liked it, maybe not his finest but it has Jimmy Stewart and he's pretty cool. :)

    ReplyDelete