Monday, October 25, 2010

"I just left"


At my school the students have what is called "Advisory Period." It is a genius idea that was designed to help students pass all of their classes and keep their grades up. It is held right before lunch starts and lasts for 25 minutes.
If you have good attendance and no grade less than a C-, you get to skip advisory and go straight to lunch.

So basically if you are good at school you get one hour of lunch instead of 31 minutes...how playa is that?

If a student is passing my class I can send him or her to their other classes to get help and to turn in make up work. They just have to bring back a note saying that they were in some other teacher's class. Well on Thursday last, 2 of my students left and never came back, so I had to mark them as a sluff/truancy.

I asked them about it today. My student said, "honestly I just left..."

Great...
So glad you could be honest with me...
I have offered this class a pizza party if they can all finish this term with no F's. There are only 9 of them and it is study skills. They have an hour each day to work on homework during my class time to get their grades up.

But....
"I just left"

Reader beware: This generation of kids, though they occasionally show glimpses of genius, are over-populated with lazy arse, do nothings, that are going to be the dregs of society fairly soon.

You "just left" with 4 F's on your report card. F's that you could EASILY make up if you turned the work in...but you choose not to.

I am so flippin frustrated with the wasted potential in my classrooms. I beg and plead with them to try hard and take things seriously, and yet they continue to fail fail fail. It's not even a "I tried my best and failed the assignment." It's more like, "screw school man, I hate the world, I'm a rebel rarrr!"

Yes, you are a rebel, and I'll circle your name in the yearbook so I know where to look when I see your mug shot on the news in the next few years.

If you are not going to pass my class, why even show up at all? Seriously why sit in a classroom and earn an F? How many hours of sitting and doing nothing did you just waste?

List of things to do instead of sitting and getting an F in Reeves' classroom:

1- Sleep
2- Hike
3- Bike
4- Fish
5- Watch movies in pajamas
6- Get a $#%$#$%$ job
7- Learn how to paint
8- Practice pan-handling
9- Play more video games...they're really doing wonders for you
10- SIT UP AND GIVE AT LEAST A HALF-ARSED EFFORT AND PASS YOUR DANGED CLASSES!

These habitual "non-learners" are a waste of time and effort. I'm all for working my butt off to help students who struggle or who need the help. But hey, if you don't want an education then get out of here and stop wasting my time. Also, start practicing the phrase: Welcome to (Insert fast food restaurant) may I take your order?

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, that would seriously get very frustrating. They need an "old fashioned woodshed" class. But where was this extra lunch time when WE were there? Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about the kids who told you they visited Ms. Hadfield during Advisory, and then you found out Ms. H was in Indiana?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh hahaha this made me laugh. I know ALLLL about that. Im a 9th grader at an Early College, and almost all of the guys there are exactly like that. It must be frustrating!

    ReplyDelete