Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My new class? Geeks 101!

Next year...I get to teach a new class...

I've been teaching straight English 10 for the last 3 years. I've loved it and all, but I'm ready to work with 12 grade (further developed) minds.

Today they granted me my new class: Sci-Fi and Fantasy Literature...

Are you kidding me?

jIH ta'laHbe' Har vam vam 'oH ghoS Daq nagh!!!

(Translated into Klingon from a website run by presumably single dudes: I can't believe this! This is going to rock!)





What can you expect from this class students?
1. Your final paper must be typed in either Klingon or Elvish...It's possible that by May we'll have mastered Ewok or Hutteese so those might be options as well.
2. I'm going to dress like a freaking Jedi every day when studying sci-fi. When we are studying fantasy, my brown Jedi robe is now a Hobbity cloke thingy.

3. Quotes Quotes Quotes!
Student: Mr. Reeves, I haven't turned in my final paper yet!
Mr. Reeves: That is why you fail...

Fire alarm goes off.
Student: Mr. Reeves, I think we need to evacuate!
Grand Moff Reeves: Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances.







Student: Mr. Reeves I really have to use the bathroom. Can I have the hall pass?



Mr. Reeves the Gray: YOU SHALL NOT have the hall PASS!



4. Interesting punishments
If my student is talking too much, I'm going to duct tape their mouth shut and write "Restraining Bolt" on the the front of the tape.
Or maybe I'll bind their hands, make them stand on a desk, and push them off into the sarlaac pit (made up of old diseased coats I've found at the school)

5. Homework won't always consist of "go home and read chapters 3-4" It'll consist of "Go home and read issues 3-4"

6. I'll make a sorting hat and pull names out when I need a reader or an answer from the class.

7. TROG-DOR!!!!! Da na na NA da na na NA da na na NA da na na NA NA










8. Once a month I can fake like a chest bursting alien is hatching out of me! I'll writhe and scream on the ground and throw fake blood around.

9. Persausive essays... Pro life vs women's right? Nope. Gun control vs 2nd amendment? Nope. Alien vs Predator? Yes. Wolverine vs Batman? Yes. Scott Pilgrim vs the World? Oh HECK yes!










10. Each day starts in pitch blackness...then the opening theme to Star Trek starts. "Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before" Followed by me saying, "Students, set your phasers to FUN!" hahahahaha

Do you get the vibe that I'm excited? Yeah... I'm pumped.

3 comments:

  1. Can I register for this class online?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll post my lesson plans if you so desire. I will "make it so"

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha that is awesome! wish i could audit it!

    ReplyDelete