Monday, December 13, 2010

127 OW! ers.

Last weekend I went to the movies and saw the Aaron Ralston inspired film "127 hours" starring James Franco.
First off- Franco deserves the Academy Award for acting hands down...there shouldn't even be a question.

The basic synposis of the film is that Aaron Ralston, an overly confident outdoorsman, finds himself stuck literally "between a rock and a hard place." While hiking, Aaron dislodges a boulder and falls down a small narrow in Southern Utah's Canyon Lands National Park. The boulder comes to rest on his right arm, effectively pinning him to the wall. He must survive for as long as he can on what meager supplies he's brought. In order to survive, he must amputate his own arm using nothing but a dull weatherman tool.

I don't see a lot of Rated R movies, however this was one of my exceptions. Why? Because it made me a better person. (Not sure how this summer's "Predators" made me a better person, but I digress?)

If ever there was a metaphor for life, this is it.

Folks, we all find ourselves being held back from something that we really want. Each of us has a metaphorical arm stuck between the boulder and the wall. If we can't get rid of it, we die (fail). Though painful, uncomfortable, and extremely graphic, we gotta do what's necessary to free ourselves from certain death. If we have the will-power to break our own bones and cut through our own dead flesh, then we can survive this game called life and leave the theater in a good mood.

Here's the trailer, may it inspire you as it inspired me. You may have to link back to Youtube to get the whole screen. I think my blog done shrunk it.

No comments:

Post a Comment