Wednesday, September 22, 2010

You seriously haven't seen that?!

So as I get older. my students are born a year later each year that I teach. My current students were born in 1994 which means they were not even aware of Siamese Dream, Dumb and Dumber, or Goosebumps books.

Occasionally I'll throw out a movie quote and students will get it and laugh. Example: Today a student said, "no way!" and I replied, "Yes way Ted!" It was lost on 95% of my students. And so I feel I must make a quick list of movies that all students/Americans/people/sentient beings SHOULD see.

In no Particular Order:




1. The original Star Wars Trilogy: If you don't want to do the new films, that's fine, but come on! The most groundbreaking movies of all time are a MUST see. Pop culture references Star Wars constantly. Whether it be "Jedi Mind Tricks" or a Yoda reference, you gotta be down with the Holy Trilogy..... P.S. Best line of the whole SAGA belongs of course to the greatest leader of all time: Admiral Ackbar: "Itsha Trap!"


2. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Never before has nerd-dom been so widely accepted. The girls loved Orlando Bloom, the boys loved watching Orlando Bloom arrow people in the face. And midnight shows all over the country were sprayed with aerosol to keep the big sweaty nerd smell down. This trilogy is a masterpiece on par with Star Wars.

3. Indiana Jones Trilogy: I have to say trilogy because I can't just say, "See Raiders and Last Crusade" because that would leave out Temple of Doom. Those are the only 3 Indiana Jones movies ever made. There was no 4th installment released in 2008. It was stalled in production and never saw the light of day right...RIGHT? When it comes down to it: Raiders of the Lost Ark has got to be one of the all time best action movies. There is NO BETTER SCENE IN ALL OF CINEMA than when the beautiful female angel flies around and the Nazi says, "It's beautiful." Then the angel flies right up into the screen (somebody 3-d this already!) and turns into an angel of death. As the skeleton screams, the nazi screams, the music goes creepy, and the nazi's melt. BEST SCENE EVER!


4. Jaws: Ok so the trilogies have been covered. Jaws is an AMAZING film. It is really the best movie I've ever seen. The direction, the music, the amazing characters. This film has it ALL. Sure The Ring and The Grudge freaked me out for a bit, but Jaws has successfully kept me from swimming in the ocean for my entire life. There is no way I'll ever go into the ocean past my knees. I even get jumpy floating around in Utah Lake while water skiing. If the melting Nazi's is the best scene ever, then the USS Indianapolis speech given by Quint is a close second. "I bumped into a friend of mine chief...Herby Robinson...baseball player from Cleveland. I shook him to try and keep him awake...he just bobbed up and down. He'd been bitten in half below the waist..." I feel the need to watch this movie at least 2 times a year.

5. Jurassic Park: So are we noticing that I really like Spielberg movies? I advise that all who view this movie also read the book. Both are hard working and will serve you well (see that?! Star Wars reference!). I remember seeing this PG-13 movie with my dad when I was in 5th grade. I was so excited to go see a grown up movie...until that first scene played out...and the guy got eaten alive by the raptor. SHOOOOOT HER! Oh man...classic. Seriously guys, "Where's the goat." I watched this the other day and the special effects are STILL legit man.


6. The Goonies: Yep, this is possibly the coolest movie ever. I say coolest because it was every kid's dream to find buried treasure. So many memorable quotes...many which include cuss words, but still what a flick! Throw in the freaking awesome Cindy Lauper song and it is a bonafide classic. I try to live my life to the Goonie code, "Goonies never say die." Something about the rainy Oregon backdrop makes this movie hauntingly beautiful. Best line, "Chunk Chunk Chunk!" "No, it's CAPTAIN CHUNK!, and Captain Chunk says, let's get the Hell out of here!" hahahaha Or maybe dumping the fake puke over the side of the theater is the best line..."HWEH HWEH HWEH HWEEEEHHEHHEHWHEHEH" I have Chunk's autograph...tis precious to me.

7. Better off Dead: Mr. Meyers...please come to the board and show us your solution to this paltry geometric dilemma. This is probably one of the most quotable movies of all time. John Cusack is a genius as Lane Meyer. I don't know what Steve Savage was on when he wrote this, but I want some. "I can't move my right arm!!!" Great part about this movie is that as a high schooler trying to deal with relationship issues or the lack there-of, this movie gave all dorks hope. Gee I'm real sorry your mom blew up Ricky...

8. Ferris Beuler's Day Off: So yeah...if you haven't seen this one, you should probably be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Granted, I hate it when my students skip school (I swear I'm not a Roony though) this movie is a must see for any kid. I want to think I have a Beuler attitude about life sometimes. I also like to make sure that I don't end up like Cameron Fry, though I have been told I do look like the actor who played him. Shakin a baaaaby now...twist and shooouuuut. I LOVE that scene. Makes the whole city dance, and it makes my soul happy. "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it..."

9. Ghostbusters: Ray...when someone asks if you are a God you say YES! Maybe it's just my age speaking, but I don't think that kids now a days get the subtle humor of this movie. Bill Murray's suave pathetic-ness is classic. His shameless flirtation with the girl who is working on her ESP test is so perfect. Sure the sequel is nowhere near as funny as the original, but if one has not seen the original ghostbusters they are in serious need of help. "Don't cross the streams...." "Why?" "It would be bad" It would also be bad to never see this movie.

10. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure: The fact that some of my students hadn't even HEARD of this movie is what prompted this blog in the first place. Two dorky high school wanna be rockers travel through time to put together a history project so that they can graduate, make a band, and cause all war to cease. "Hey Bill remember when you asked your mom to prom sophomore year?" "Shut up Ted!" I love when they are talking to "So-Crates" and they give the wisdom of "ALl we are, is dust in the wind dude.....DUST.....WIND......DUDE...."

If anybody within the sound of my voice (which is probably very few people) has not seen any of the above movies, please do. If not for your sake, but fore humanity's.


Honorable Mentions: Princess Bride, The Burbs, UHF, Three Amigos, Edward Scissor Hands, Moulin Rouge, Dead Poets Society, The Graduate, Psycho (anything Hitchcock)... The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Willow, Run Lola Run! and the list could go on for hours. I tried to keep to action and comedy classics...PG-13 and below.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome list that pretty much includes most of my top 10. I think that "Back to the Future" should also get an honorable mention.

    ReplyDelete