Monday, September 21, 2009

Beauty?


What is Beauty?
What makes one part of the country more beautiful than another?
What makes her better looking than her, or him better looking than him?
It's all perspective. It's all neutral now.

I'm half asleep typing this, but I'll try to make sense of it.

In Star Wars there is a light side of the force and a dark side of the force. But if you didn't know about the light side or the dark side then there would just be "force" right?

If you looked at beautiful portraits all day, then some kind of abstract painting would look "ugly" right? What if it's just different?

Take music for example. You have a vast variety of tunes yes? Some might think that Enya is beautiful, and it is, it evokes certain emotions of peace. What about a loud screaming rock song? Well that's "ugly" because it evokes sad or angry emotions. Well that's true, but is there beauty in the ability to think or feel differently? It's not necessarily the dark side of the force, it's just a different way of using the force, and if we keep that perspective then it doesn't bring me down. For every Da vinci there needs to be Van Gogh right?

I can listen to "make me happy" songs all day and be cheerful, but then something bad happens and I can't deal with it. If I listen to sad songs all day then I'm never happy and life is miserable. If I mix it up, explore the emotional ranges out there, then I'm better equipped to handle emotions when they really show up.

Make sense? No, not really.

Look I see students EVERY DAY who only listen to gangsta rap, or only listen to screaming metal songs, they never smile, they frown and they bring us all down. Mix it up you guys. For every Manson song there MUST be some Boston. For every Disturbed song there MUST be a fun 80's tune. Get the balance right.

No comments:

Post a Comment